At the foot of the Ivan the Great Bell-Tower, on a granite base (designed by the Neo - classical French architect Auguste - Richard Montferrand), is the world's largest bell, the 210 ton Tsar Bell. It was cast in the Kremlin by the foundry man Ivan Motorin and his son Mikhail in 1733-35. Russian masters Vasily Kobelev, Piotr Kokhtev, Piotr Serebriakov and others skillfully adorned the surface of the bell with relief representations of the second Romanov tsar Alexei Mikhailovich and Empress Anna Ioannovna, five icons and two inscriptions. A fire that swept Moscow in 1737 also engulfed the Kremlin, and when water was poured on the hot bell it cracked and an 11.5 ton piece broke off. The bell stands 6.14 m (20 ft) high and has a diameter at the base of 6.60 m (22 ft). It consists of just under 80 per cent copper.
The Tsar Cannon is an interesting specimen of sixteenth - century foundry work. It was cast of bronze in 1586 by the Russian master Andrei Shchokhov. It weighs nearly 40 tons and has a barrel 5.34 m (17 ft) long and a bore of 890 mm (35 in). This is the largest bore of any cannon in the world. Its ornate carriage and the cannon balls lined up near it are decorative and were cast of pig-iron in 1835 at the Berd works in St.Petersburg. The cannon balls weigh a ton each.
Next to the Annunciation Cathedral is Granovitaya Palata (the Faceted Chamber),