The Museum of History of Moscow
is one of the oldest museums of the city. Its collection was based on the exhibits of the pavilion "Moscow
" at the All-Russian Artistic and Industrial exhibition, which was held in Nizhny Novgorod
in 1896. There the Moscow
City Adminisration displayed its achievements in providing the city with all amenities, improving its medical and sanitary conditions, in public education, charity. Just that year the Museum of Moscow
Municipal Facilities and Services was opened under the order of the Moscow
City Duma. The Museum was located in one of the Krestovsky Towers.
1921 the Museum was called Moscow Municipal Museum and was located in Sukhareva Tower - the restored monument of 17th century. Under the influence of the plan of Moscow’s reconstruction accepted in 1935 the name and exposition character of the Museum were changed. This time it was called the Museum of History and Reconstruction of Moscow and moved into the building of the Church of John the Theologian " under the Elm", where it is located now. Since 1987 the Museum has been called the Museum of History of Moscow.